A Gluten, Grain, Sugar & Dairy Free Loaf
Everyone has a favourite apple cake recipe; this is one of mine. When you need a bit of something sweet I love to bake with apples. Apples fill that sweet spot, there is nothing better than the smell of apples and cinnamon drifting from the oven, whatever the season.
This loaf is easy to pull together and made with healthy ingredients. I used honey instead of sugar and coconut oil instead of butter. It’s packed with apples so you can tell your inner cake-eater that you are eating fruit first; the cake part is just there to hold it all together.
This apple cake is packed full with apples, almond flour and sweetened with honey.
Makes one loaf and about 8 to 10 slices
1/3 cup honey, (or maple syrup)
1/2 cup coconut oil melted
1 1/2 cup peeled and diced apple, (about 1 large apple or 2 small)
3 cups almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon and a few dashes for sprinkling on top of the loaf before it goes into the oven
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp hemp hearts
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and oil the parchment paper and sides of the loaf pan, set aside.
3. In a medium size bowl whisk the eggs, honey and cooled melted coconut oil.
4. In a small bowl, mix the almond four, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
5. Mix the dry into the wet ingredients, blend well then add the diced apples and mix again. (You will have a thick batter).
6. Pour into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with hemp hearts and top with a few shakes of cinnamon.
7. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes.
8. If it begins to brown lightly cover with foil.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for about an hour before removing from pan.
This loaf keeps well in an airtight container, I like to store in the fridge.
I think it tastes best the second and third day.