Because what’s a snow day without cake and Baileys?
That’s why we put it all together in this Winter Baileys Delight recipe. Decadent coffee infused cake with fudge icing is sure to hit the spot on those cold icy afternoons.
The rich velvety texture with the aroma of Baileys is a crowd pleaser and winter winner.
For the CAKE:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup hot dark/med roast coffee
1 cup buttermilk (or 1-2% milk plus 1 tbsp. vinegar)
2 eggs (room temperature)
2 tsp. vanilla
Yield: 12 servings.
- Preheat oven to 350ºC and line two 9” round pans with parchment paper or butter and flour. *You can also use four 6” pans for a higher top cake.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and put aside.
- In a mixing bowl or regular bowl with hand mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Add cocoa powder and beat until even. Slowly pour in coffee and mix until just combined. Repeat with buttermilk. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In 3 parts, mix in the dry ingredients until even and smooth. Divide batter evenly into greased pans. (Batter is fairly thin. this is normal!)
- Place in oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
For the FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter, cubed
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup whole milk
1-2 tbsp. Baileys
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a double broiler or microwave safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, milk, vanilla and Baileys until smooth. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating until light and fluffy.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, spread between layers and around the sides of cake.
EASY DECORATING TIP: Melt chocolate and pour over parchment or non-stick paper. Spread evenly until chocolate is thin but not transparent. Put in fridge for 10 minutes or until hardened. Break chocolate apart in shards and use as edible embellishments.
For additional decorative flourishes, finish the cake with rosemary garlands and wild blueberries.